Why very little documentation on "ifunc"?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Mar 30 03:29:44 UTC 2019

On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 07:28:23 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> Ever since I stumbled upon "ifunc" I have been unable to find good
> enough documentation regarding it under FreeBSD, that was till "Ed
> Maste" pointed out;
> https://jasoncc.github.io/gnu_gcc_glibc/gnu-ifunc.html
>
> "ifunc" seems to be a really good tool, wonder why it isn't as well
> documented as rest of the stuff under FreeBSD.

>From what I see, ifunc is part of GCC, and FreeBSD does no longer
use GCC as the system compiler (after switching to Clang/LLVM).
The case for ifunc documentation therefore has to be discussed
primarily in the context of GNU development tools.

	https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/GNU_IFUNC

Of course, Clang/LLVM also has (limited) support for it:

	https://clang.llvm.org/docs/AttributeReference.html#ifunc

So this is nothing FreeBSD-specific which should be covered by
OS documentation in the first place. But it could maybe find a
place in the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany