I've got a major question...

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 28 15:34:21 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-28 07:47, Jerry wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 13:17:11 +0200, Polytropon stated:
>> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 06:42:43 -0400, Jerry wrote:
>>> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 07:27:16 +0200, Polytropon stated:

<snip>

>>> In Adobe, you have the option of opting out of allowing Adobe to
>>> harvest your data. There are two options, one to collect your usage
>>> data and another to collect program data should it crash. I see no
>>> legitimate reason to opt out of the latter, but that is an individual
>>> decision to make.
>>
>> It is. Reality shows that such decision making isn't always easy,
>> because the corresponding controls are hidden, buried on some
>> sub-dialog or preference page. The default, in my opinion, should
>> be to make the decision at the first run of the software, with
>> the standard value being "no data transmitted". Giving away your
>> data for free (!) should be an active decision, not something you
>> need to express your dissent later on.
>
> When I agreed to the lease agreement, that was one of the first items
> that appeared on the screen. While I cannot recall at this moment, I
> believe the default was to not exchange data.

I do not know why everybody thinks that when they click "opt out" button
for usage of your data on whichever vendor's side, this will be exactly
what will happen: the vendor will not use your data. Why it didn't occur
to anybody that by clicking "opt out" button you might initiate the
opposite: your data will be processed and analyzed even more thoroughly
and to deeper level?

Since when we, sysadmins (aren't we all sysadmins who participated in
this discussion?) forgot that we only can trust to what we are able to
verify ourselves.

Valeri

PS sorry about still adding noise. This will be my last comment on this
thread.

<snip>

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator