I've got a major question...

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Jun 28 11:29:21 UTC 2019

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 06:42:43 -0400, Jerry wrote:
>Both Adobe’s and Microsoft’s new business model of leasing software has
>proven successful.

Among Artists on iOS the licensing model is unaccepted and there are a
lot of very good, inexpensive apps available users don't need to rent.
With the new iPadPro it's already possible to replace a lot of apps that
required a desktop PC or a laptop a while back. I only need to do a
minority of my artwork on a desktop PC and what I still need to do on
the desktop PC, could be done with free as in beer FLOSS. It might not
work for everybody, some people still might need proprietary software
on a desktop PC, but probably they could use old software to do this.
By the way everybody accepts that software bought 25 years ago
can't be used today. It's also accepted that from time to time an
update needs to be bought, as long as it doesn't become a hidden rent
model. Instead of rent out the software, vendors could sell new
plugins, to get money for new work, instead of selling something again
and again without really providing something. A vendor is free to offer
special licensing models for schools and companies, but enforcing a
licensing model that is useful for schools and companies to very small
businesses and private users is just a rip-off.