I've got a major question...

Olivier Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Fri Jun 28 05:53:29 UTC 2019

Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> writes:

> The "always online & for rent"

But hey, if you buy your software, you mat also decide that the one you
bought 10 years ago is still plenty enough for what you do and you don't
need to buy upgrades.

The very few times I need to launch Word, it is a version of 2003,
bought in 2003, never paid anything since.

What puzzle me even more is people accepting to buy their cars through
leasing: you pay every month, for 3 years, and at the end of the 3 years
period, you have... nothing. While it may make sense for a business (fix
cost every month, if the business stop its business, it has no car
left, but a dead business needs no car), it makes no sense for
individuals.

And it makes even less sens for something like software that will not
stop working or loose its functionalities with time. It's sounds like
you are offering to lease me a hammer and the only real reason is that
you will charge more at the end and I will get a hammer with a different
colour handle each year.

Olivier