local_unbound not working

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 08:58:18 UTC 2019

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 at 18:56, Trond Endrestøl <trond.endrestol at ximalas.info>
wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:03+0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> > I have a system which is an exact replica of the other except for the DNS
> > names and IP addresses.
> > The system is FreeBSD-12.
> > Now, on the original system, local_unbound is working perfectly for name
> > resolutions.
> > On the replica, name resolution is not working.
> > I have edited the IPs correctly in unbound.conf, resolv.conf, rc.conf -
> > every other place I can think of.
> > What would cause this failure??
>
> Wildly speculating here of course, does the replica live in the same
> subnet as the original, and is the replica allowed to speak to the
> external DNS service?

The replica lives in a different subnet. It's actually being used as a
gateway server elsewhere.

> Any typos in the IP address, netmask, gateway, or name of the
> interface(s)?

The configs are identical except for  interface: 192.168.xx.254

Are the MAC addresses unique in either case?

Yes. They are two different servers living in two physical locations, in
two different ISPs.

> Is the switchport placed in shutdown, assuming a manageable/programmable
> switch?

The LAN/WAN interfaces are both functional.
 The PF configuration differs only in the WAN IP and LAN subnet.
If I put the same DNS servers that I have in /var/unbound/forward.conf in my
/et/resolv.conf, DNS resolution works.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,