Eliminating IPv6 (?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Jun 18 20:57:40 UTC 2019

In message <CAOjFWZ7A5cA=oE3viNy-W=G3uNxiBGtNccA8yEoHfL52dY=dEg at mail.gmail.com>
Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:

>For someone who doesn't want to be preached to about the benefits of IPv6,
>you certainly do a lot of preaching about not wanting IPv6.  :)

Guilty as charged.

>You've been given the tools to do exactly what you want:
>  - comment out IPv6 support in the kernel config file
>  - add WITHOUT_IPV6=yes to /etc/src.conf
>  - rebuild the world and kernel
>
>Voila!  A version of FreeBSD made especially for you, without any traces of
>IPv6.  Does exactly what you want.  Why the long diatribe asking for
>something else once you've been shown how to do what you want?

Rebuild kernel+world is not exactly a quick solution.

And god only knows how much will break once I've done that.  How many other
people have tested -all- of the resulting binaries, seriously, on actual
production systems?  (I may be the first one ever, at least for 12.0.)

But this is all besides the point anyway.  I am now resigned to my fate,
and I am already up to the fifth stage of grief with respect to this issue.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

Regards,
rfg