Eliminating IPv6 (?)

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 15:26:14 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 12:45 AM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
wrote:

> In message <d6a5d6b8-1630-3095-dd0b-22b49213176e at grosbein.net>,
> Eugene Grosbein <eugen at grosbein.net> wrote:
>
> >18.06.2019 10:10, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> >
> >> How can I turn off IPv6 entirely without rebuilding the kernel?
> >
> >You cannot. GENERIC kernel specifically enables IPv6 support and you need
> >disable it at compile time.
> >And if you do, you better rebuild the world too using WITHOUT_INET6=yes
> in the
> >/etc/src.conf
> >or else some utilities compiled with INET6 by default will query kernel
> >for IPv6-specific data (like routing entries) and complain that your
> kernel does
> >not know about it.
> >
> >World built WITHOUT_INET6 has no such rough edges.
>
> OK, so I obviously expressed myself badly.  Let me try again.

For someone who doesn't want to be preached to about the benefits of IPv6,
you certainly do a lot of preaching about not wanting IPv6.  :)

You've been given the tools to do exactly what you want:
  - comment out IPv6 support in the kernel config file
  - add WITHOUT_IPV6=yes to /etc/src.conf
  - rebuild the world and kernel

Voila!  A version of FreeBSD made especially for you, without any traces of
IPv6.  Does exactly what you want.  Why the long diatribe asking for
something else once you've been shown how to do what you want?

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com