ntpd configutration -- a small suggestion from the peanut gallery

Matthias Oestreicher matthias at smormegpa.no
Wed Jun 5 07:29:22 UTC 2019

Am Dienstag, den 04.06.2019, 23:18 -0700 schrieb Ronald F. Guilmette:
> During install of my fresh new 12.0-RELEASE system, I was asked
> if I wanted to enable ntpd.  I clicked the little box to enable
> that.
>
> Now I have the system up and running, and yesa, the date/time isn't
> set right.... off by several hours.
>
> I feel sure that I'll be able to figure out how to get ntpd properly
> enabled & configured, but I would just like to offer, hunbly, to the
> Powers That Be, that it would be Nice if ntpd, once enabled during
> install, just worked, you know, right outta the box.

NTP works out of the box, but does not accept big time changes unless you run it with
the -g option. I think it's not ntp's fault.

The very first thing you should check is, if the empty file /etc/wall_cmos_clock
exists. It must only exist, when your computer's BIOS clock is set to local time
or you will experience offsets in time.

Though, it is recommended to have the BIOS clock set to GMT (and not to localtime) and
/etc/wall_cmos_clock removed in case it exists. Timezone must be set correctly, to
where you live.