non-blocky console font

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Mon Jun 3 13:48:05 UTC 2019

Hello,

context: recent 12-stable, amd64, desktop

What I'd like to do is to have a default console font that's not blocky.
The default seems to be 640*480. My screen is 1920*1024. I'd like
something like the default console font that OpenBSD uses.

Thing is, there aren't any (it seems - I can't find them) *recent*
complete instructions how to do this on *recent* FreeBSD12. Confusingly,
both sc and vt are in the default kernel. What is best to use?

This is a desktop system, and it runs X fine. It has an nvidia graphics
card, and is using the latest drm-kmod for FreeBSD12. I don't want the
console configuration interfering with the working X setup. But I'd like
a fon't that isn't huge for the times I don't want to start X.

If I follow the console section in the handbook and for instance try

# kldload vesa

I get this error:
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0xffffffff836c6000, 0) error 19
sysctl_unregister_oid: failed(22) to unregister sysctl(vesa)

or

# vidcontrol -i mode
(no modes displayed)

Basically all that I'm looking for are instructions about:
1. whether to use sc or vt
2. how to change resolution
3. how to change console font

please would anyone advise?