Best hardware for a replacement desktop?

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 18:59:59 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 2:01 PM Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

> Aryeh Friedman writes:
>
> >  > You need an uninterruptible power supply (UPS):
> >  >
> >  > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply
> >
> >  Already on my shopping list but half the problem is the machine is
> >  a name HP and looking at the specs I have likely put more demand on
> >  the power supply then I can supply if there any drop in voltage.
>
>         I'd be interested to hear how you do this ... but assuming it's
> true your solution has two parts:
>
>         1) the UPS to deal with the "power hiccups".  Before you buy,
> check ports/sysutils to see what models are covered by available
> software.

Neither of the two other systems on the same power strip that where custom
build (not name brand) and being careful to not overload the internal
supply went down even once

>         2) a more vigorous internal power supply.  I have no idea if it's
> even possible to upgrade HP products short of having HP do it (and
> maybe not even then).

This is one of the primary reasons for wanting to upgrade the entire
system.... HP refuses to support upgrades and uses non-standard physical
dimensions... HP Pavilion 7 is not upgradable and I have already done all
the tweaks I can do (and thus overloaded the power supply in all likely
hood)... most notably I added 3 SATA drives in it beyond the one it came
with (including a SSD),  I increased the RAM from 8 GB to 24 GB (works fine
despite the stated max being 16 [dmidecode says the max is 128 GB though]),
added a mid range nvidia card to it (GeForce GT 710).    So all in all I
suspect I have severly overtaxed the power supply which is 300W.