.emacs error in developer's handbook (section 2.7) standard-display-european & cannot load hilit19

Brian Phillips stringchopper at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 11:43:01 UTC 2019

I'm trying to use the .emacs configuration listed in the FreeBSD
Developer's Handbook, 2.7, and I get these error messages for which google
isn't helping (this neophyte) much. Can someone point me in the right
direction for fixing the 'standard-display-european' issue as well as the
'cannot open load file ... hilit19' problem?

-----------------------------------
Warning (i18n): ‘standard-display-european’ is semi-obsolete; see its doc
string for details
Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
‘/home/brian/.emacs’:

File is missing: Cannot open load file, No such file or directory, hilit19

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace.
-----------------------------------

debug-init looks like this:

-----------------------------------
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-missing "Cannot open load file" "No
such file or directory" "hilit19")
  require(hilit19)
  (progn (setq hilit-mode-enable-list '(not text-mode c-mode c++-mode
emacs-lisp-mode lisp-mode scheme-mode) hilit-auto-highlight nil
hilit-auto-rehighlight 'visible hilit-inhibit-hooks nil
hilit-inhibit-rebinding t) (require 'hilit19) (require 'paren))
  (if window-system (progn (setq hilit-mode-enable-list '(not text-mode
c-mode c++-mode emacs-lisp-mode lisp-mode scheme-mode) hilit-auto-highlight
nil hilit-auto-rehighlight 'visible hilit-inhibit-hooks nil
hilit-inhibit-rebinding t) (require 'hilit19) (require 'paren)) (setq
baud-rate 2400))
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/brian/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading
at buffer position 7899
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/brian/.emacs" "/home/brian/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x16c5fd>)()
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()