sendmail

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Tue Jul 2 11:06:40 UTC 2019

On 1 Jul 2019, at 06:02, Roderick <hruodr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019, Peter Boosten via freebsd-questions wrote:
>
>> _and_ that sendmail is based on a single executable, while other MTAs
>> spread the tasks over several.
>
> Is that really so bad?

It’s not good. Certainly not good if you have a lot of volume.

> Why people do not hammer exim, the standard MTA in debian, for the same reason? Does it have advantages that neutralizes it?

I don’t know, but exim is newer code and well threaded, as I recall, so it probably has less issues? I looked at exim, but dididn’t use it. I looked at nginx, and stuck with apache but I am constantly re-evaluating that decision.

I went with postfix a long time ago and haven’t regretted it. The community it very good and the configuration is a lot less opaque than sendmail.

> I tried a little exim, a little postfix and used at the end sendmail.

I ran screaming from sendmail. If it wasn’t for postfix I would have abandoned running a mail server, no way was I going to dive back into sendmail.

YMMV.

--
And I was grounded while you filled the skies I was dumbfounded by
truth; you cut through lies