enlarging a ZFS file system

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Fri Jan 25 14:43:55 UTC 2019

Hey again everyone!

I have a system with 5 drives running a RAIDZ2. The file system is
getting a little cramped, so I would like to extend it.

Ideally I'd like to add 2 or three (identical) drives to the pool, let
the system work a little and then have a result as if I'd created the
whole thing from the start with 7 or 8 drives. Just to be clear: The
result should be a RAIDZ2 with 7 or 8 drives (depending on how many I add).

A couple of years back, I read up on if this were possible and the only
way to enlarge a RAIDZ at the time was to replace *all* the existing
drives piece by piece with bigger ones and let the RAID heal drive by
drive. During my research I did stumble on a thread where developers of
ZFS were discussing that what I would like to do was actually a good
idea and a relatively widely requested feature. I didn't participate in
the discussion and for some reason cannot find it anymore. I must admit
that I didn't save the URL at the time. :-(

Has there been any development in this direction? Can what I'd like to
do be done with FreeBSD today? The drives in question are used for
archive purposes and don't really see much action, so I am not worried
that they will die it the data on them gets copied around a fair bit.

Y'all have a nice weekend! ;-)

Regards,
Chris