Synaptics on Panasonic Touchbook CF-C2

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jan 5 23:40:18 UTC 2019

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 00:52:11 +0100, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 12:39 AM Polytropon wrote:
> > I think using /dev/sysmouse without moused running is the way to go.
> > In general, moused should not be used.
>
> Okay, so the moused is the "old way"..

Correct. It is only needed for getting the mouse work in the
console. With vt having replaced sc as the console driver,
the console functionality has seen several facettes of decay,
which is sad, but seems to be required to keep X happy.

Still there is one thing I seem to remember from the thread:
At some point, you said that you've obtained debugging data
from the psm driver directly (not via "moused -d"), and with
the hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" setting in /boot/loader.conf,
you did not get any reaction from that channel. This is strange.
Even though X input does not need moused support, is surely
needs psm support (via the "sysmouse" hook). I'm not sure
this looks entirely correct - but I don't have (and don't like
to use) touchpads, so I cannot provide any further ideas.
It's just my gut feeling, resulting in memories of low-level
programming done decades ago, that you should at least get
_some_ kind of reaction from the psm driver whenever an event
happens on the touchpad.

> > If I remember correctly, mouse input in X is managed independently
> > from mouse in console mode, so you should probably concentrate on
> > X and the corresponding configuration file fragments that nowadays
> > reside in the /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory.
>
> Will try with these.. and play with libinput.. thanks :-)

Make sure you have xf86-input-synaptics and libsynaptics installed.
X should then detect the corresponding device automatically and
load the appropriate drivers and subsystems.

> The worst thing is that one time it was working correctly.. no clue why ;-)

Maybe it was on an older FreeBSD version? Decay... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany