Installing FreeBSD on HP Computer that is using software RAID 5

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Fri Jan 4 14:10:29 UTC 2019

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 14:01:33 +0000, Steve O'Hara-Smith stated:

>On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 13:52:29 +0000
>Carmel NY <carmel_ny at outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> According to my FreeBSD PC, the latest version is "12.0-RELEASE-p1".
>
>	Correct.
>
>> have scoured the FreeBSD website; however I do not see a downloadable
>> ISO available for the version. So, unless I am mistaken, I would have
>> to install the Stable version and then upgrade. Personally, and I
>> mean
>
>	Not the Stable version but 12.0-RELEASE and then run
>freebsd-update to install the binary patches to bring it up to date (or
>you can do a source upgrade if you really want to or have patched the
>code).

Sorry, I meant the "RELEASE" version.

>	This is very very similar to what happens with every Linux
>	version
>I have installed, first you install the latest packaged version then
>use yum or apt to bring it up to date with the latest patches.
>
>> no offense to anyone, but I find that to be total "BS". Obviously,
>> your opinion may differ.
>
>	Why ? It's pretty much the same model as everyone else. The
>	only
>real difference is that $LINUX_DISTRO latest release plus updates
>doesn't usually have a name whereas because of the FreeBSD release
>model the FreeBSD equivalent does have a name.

The "why" is simple. You are converting what should be a simple "one
step" operation into a two or more step process, which also
exponentially increases the time needed to complete the initial
installation as well as leaving the door open to potential errors. I am
a strong believer in the "KISS" method whenever possible.

--
Carmel