Installing FreeBSD on HP Computer that is using software RAID 5

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Jan 4 14:01:46 UTC 2019

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 13:52:29 +0000
Carmel NY <carmel_ny at outlook.com> wrote:

> According to my FreeBSD PC, the latest version is "12.0-RELEASE-p1". I

	Correct.

> have scoured the FreeBSD website; however I do not see a downloadable
> ISO available for the version. So, unless I am mistaken, I would have
> to install the Stable version and then upgrade. Personally, and I mean

	Not the Stable version but 12.0-RELEASE and then run
freebsd-update to install the binary patches to bring it up to date (or
you can do a source upgrade if you really want to or have patched the code).

	This is very very similar to what happens with every Linux version
I have installed, first you install the latest packaged version then use
yum or apt to bring it up to date with the latest patches.

> no offense to anyone, but I find that to be total "BS". Obviously, your
> opinion may differ.

	Why ? It's pretty much the same model as everyone else. The only
real difference is that $LINUX_DISTRO latest release plus updates doesn't
usually have a name whereas because of the FreeBSD release model the
FreeBSD equivalent does have a name.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>