Installing FreeBSD on HP Computer that is using software RAID 5

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Jan 4 11:07:37 UTC 2019

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 10:35:05 +0000
Matthew Seaman <matthew at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Also you will be prompted by freebsd-update(8) or pkg(8) during normal
> maintenance activities when your currently installed system is going out
> of support.

	It occurs to me that one significant difference between maintaining
FreeBSD and maintaining Windows or OS-X (Linux is a mixed bag) is that the
former is an active thing driven by the user whereas the others are
reactive driven by the vendor.

	Personally I much prefer the FreeBSD approach, but it also seems
likely that a reactive vendor driven approach could be layered on the basic
mechanisms (freebsd-update pkg upgrade) without too much difficulty and that
some may prefer it that way (I may even have missed something already in the
ports - I haven't looked).

	That being said I think starting an implementation would be
premature, package base would be too intrusive on any such implementation
and waste much of the effort.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>