Installing FreeBSD on HP Computer that is using software RAID 5

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 3 17:51:51 UTC 2019

On 03/01/2019 17:20, Carmel NY wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 17:00:36 +0000, Matthew Seaman stated:
>
>> Nope.  So long as you have Internet access available, then you can use
>> the 'Boot Only' disk image for FreeBSD 12 in exactly the same way.
>>
>> 	Cheers,
>>
>> 	Matthew
>
> Thank you Matthew, I was worried that things had changed. I like
> installing from the net. Also, hopefully I am getting the latest
> versions, although that is probably not true. I know that Microsoft
> does that, but I am not really sure how FreeBSD handles it.

If you download the installer image for FreeBSD-12.0 then that's exactly
what you'll get as the base system: FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE. You would then
need to run freebsd-update(8) or similar after installation to get any
subsequently issued security or errata patches.

By contrast, with pkgs you would always be getting the latest available
version available from the repository, although remember that the
default for a -RELEASE system is to use the quarterly package set, so
"latest available" could mean (at worst) "3 months behind the current
upstream version."  Given that at the time of writing this e-mail the
2019Q1 branch is only 3 days old, right now everything is still pretty
much up to date compared to the latest packages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew