size of debug symbols

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Sun Feb 24 14:52:14 UTC 2019

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 08:58-0500, Robert Huff wrote:

> Trond Endrestøl writes:
>
> >  > >  What happens if you confine WITH_DEBUG=yes to /etc/src.conf? This
> >  > >  way it should only affect base unless I'm mistaken.
> >
> >  I was a bit wrong, for base it's WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES=yes. I'm not sure
> >  if the same applies to localbase aka ports. See make.conf(5) and
> >  src.conf(5). The latter describes among others, WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES.
>
> 	On my system - r334207 - it's only in src.conf, and the man page
> is ... imprecise ... about the consequemces of using it. "avoid
> building standalone debug files" - does that mean no files are built,
> or that there's some kind of unified file?  And wouldn't the former
> make it impossible to debug non-kernel stuff in base?

Ever since WITH_DEBUG_FILES became the norm, I have set
WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES=yes in /etc/src.conf on some of my experimental
VMs running head and stable/{11,12}. At $WORK I can afford the extra
disk space.

WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES=yes leads to a normal build, but without most
debug files. Kernel debug files will still be created and placed in
/usr/lib/debug/boot/kernel during make installkernel.

--
Trond.