size of debug symbols

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Sun Feb 24 13:59:04 UTC 2019

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= writes:

>  > >  What happens if you confine WITH_DEBUG=yes to /etc/src.conf? This
>  > >  way it should only affect base unless I'm mistaken.
>
>  I was a bit wrong, for base it's WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES=yes. I'm not sure
>  if the same applies to localbase aka ports. See make.conf(5) and
>  src.conf(5). The latter describes among others, WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES.

	On my system - r334207 - it's only in src.conf, and the man page
is ... imprecise ... about the consequemces of using it. "avoid
building standalone debug files" - does that mean no files are built,
or that there's some kind of unified file?  And wouldn't the former
make it impossible to debug non-kernel stuff in base?

			Respectfully,

				Robert Huff