Duplicating file system

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Feb 21 06:55:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 20:59:21 -0700, @lbutlr wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2019, at 19:21, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > With this in mind, I'd start with an 1:1 copy using dd, and from that
> > point on, have a scheduled job of rsync or cpdup in place to have any
> > source changes affect the "copy drive".
>
> I will try cpdup as I have tried rsync already and it is too
> resource intensive to run it constantly. Even with a 5 minute
> delay sometimes a task will not finish before the next one
> starts and then a cascade will bring the system down as more
> and more processes get stuck.

This makes the scenario even more look like a situation where
a mirrored approach (like software RAID, gmirror) is a good
solution; writes will happen in quasi-parallel and transparent
to the writing process, so those race conditions won't appear.

But definitely try cpdup, it might work fast enough to fit
the time window. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany