kernel: drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmod pkg

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Mon Dec 30 09:08:58 UTC 2019

Polytropon wrote:

> > > Not really. From the description:
> > >
> > > 	amdgpu, i915, and radeon DRM modules for the
> > > 	linuxkpi-based KMS components on amd64, i915
> > > 	and radeonkms DRM modules from the former
> > > 	base DRM component on other architectures.
> > >
> > > 	Metaport for different versions of Linux
> > > 	DRM based on the FreeBSD version in use.
> > >
> > > This port is a meta-port of the drivers previously contained
> >
> > Which "this port", graphics/drm-legacy-kmod (which I don't have
> > installed) or graphics/drm-kmod (which I have installed)?
>
> The graphics/drm-kmod (installed) = "old drivers" at the
> moment; graphics/drm-legacy-kmod will be "the new name"
> for the "old drivers".

Well, quoting https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics about drm-kmod

Generally speaking if you have a system with one of these graphics
adapters it is suggested to install the drm-kmod metaport, which should
work well on systems starting with the "Broadwell" generation. This code
is under active development and allows us to track more closely the
drivers present in the Linux kernel.

"This code is under active development" does not sound like "old
drivers."

> > > in the OS installation (course of migrating OS components to
> > > individual packages). So it contains the "old drivers", that's
> > > why it'll be replaced by the "legacy"-named package, and the
> > > corresponding stuff will be removed from the OS entirely.
> > >
> > > There will be packages specific to OS versions, to better
> > > match them, for example graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod for
> > > FreeBSD 12, and graphics/drm-fbsd13.0-kmod for upcoming
> > > FreeBSD 13. This way, legacy stuff (for old hardware) can
> > > be separated from new development for more recent hardware.
> > >

> > Well, in my case
> >
> > # pkg which "/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
> > /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko was installed by package
> > drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20191120
> >
> > this is probably *the* OS specific version.
>
> Very strange. You said you have drm-kmod installed,

Well, I ran "pkg install graphics/drm-kmod" which resulted in the
following packages being installed:

# pkg info -dr graphics/drm-kmod
drm-kmod-g20190710
Depends on     :
        drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20191120

> you get the "it's obsolete" message from something installed
> by drm-fbsd12.0-kmod?

Yes! That's the point of my question.

> Is that obsolete, too? ;-)

I asked first!!! :-)

[dd]

> > This is what I seem to have:
> >
> > # pkg which "/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
> > /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko was installed by package
> > drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20191120
>
> The "new drivers" then. Again, that should not issue the
> abandonware message initially discussed.
>

> Very strange...

Indeed. That's why I started the thread.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/