kernel: drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmod pkg

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Dec 30 08:17:57 UTC 2019

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 13:40:17 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> > > It cannot be intended with graphics/drm-kmod installed which is by
> > > definition not "legacy" or "obsolete". Quite the opposite, it should be
> > > the newer driver.
> >
> > Not really. From the description:
> >
> > 	amdgpu, i915, and radeon DRM modules for the
> > 	linuxkpi-based KMS components on amd64, i915
> > 	and radeonkms DRM modules from the former
> > 	base DRM component on other architectures.
> >
> > 	Metaport for different versions of Linux
> > 	DRM based on the FreeBSD version in use.
> >
> > This port is a meta-port of the drivers previously contained
>
> Which "this port", graphics/drm-legacy-kmod (which I don't have
> installed) or graphics/drm-kmod (which I have installed)?

The graphics/drm-kmod (installed) = "old drivers" at the
moment; graphics/drm-legacy-kmod will be "the new name"
for the "old drivers".

> > in the OS installation (course of migrating OS components to
> > individual packages). So it contains the "old drivers", that's
> > why it'll be replaced by the "legacy"-named package, and the
> > corresponding stuff will be removed from the OS entirely.
> >
> > There will be packages specific to OS versions, to better
> > match them, for example graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod for
> > FreeBSD 12, and graphics/drm-fbsd13.0-kmod for upcoming
> > FreeBSD 13. This way, legacy stuff (for old hardware) can
> > be separated from new development for more recent hardware.
> >

> Well, in my case
>
> # pkg which "/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
> /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko was installed by package
> drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20191120
>
> this is probably *the* OS specific version.

Very strange. You said you have drm-kmod installed, but
you get the "it's obsolete" message from something installed
by drm-fbsd12.0-kmod? Is that obsolete, too? ;-)

> > Of course, the loading methods (kld_list setting in /etc/rc.conf)
> > will have to be adjusted accordingly. Also note that those are
> > metaports, installing a collection of individual driver packages,
> > if I read (and understood) the description correctly...
> Which do I have then, to begin with?
>
> # pkg info | grep kmo
> drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20191120 DRM modules for the linuxkpi-based KMS components
> drm-kmod-g20190710             Metaport of DRM modules for the linuxkpi-based KMS components
> gpu-firmware-kmod-g20190825    Firmware modules for the linuxkpi-based KMS components

You should only need to install one out of those:

	(a) drm-fbsd12.0-kmod - for current drivers

	(b) drm-(legacy)-kmod - for "old drivers"

Note that I'm not sure in how far (a) can be used with
older _hardware_ i. e., if it will contain drivers that
will support it. I also don't know if the installation
location (!) does differ, or if something can overwrite
files...

If I understood the documentation correctly, drm-kmod
should not be used anymore, in favor of one of the two
options mentioned above.

> > > That is it! As I wrote before, I use graphics/drm-kmod, but still see
> > > complaints about "obsolete abandonware." If it is intended, then it's a
> > > very odd intention.
> >
> > Sorry I didn't explain it more clearly in my first reply.
> > The graphics/drm-kmod package is the "old drivers", while
> > graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod is the one you should use if you
> > want the "new drivers". However, I'm not sure in how far
> > this will work with older hardware...
> >
> > Detailed information here:
> >
> > https://www.freshports.org/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
>
> This is what I seem to have:
>
> # pkg which "/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
> /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko was installed by package
> drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20191120

The "new drivers" then. Again, that should not issue the
abandonware message initially discussed.

Very strange...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany