[off-topic] Re: I apologise ...

Frank Shute frank at woodcruft.co.uk
Sun Dec 15 00:50:22 UTC 2019

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 12:04:23AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 12:48:09 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> >FreeBSD should therefore be seen as a foundation, not as a "one size
> >fits all egg-laying wool-milk-sow", which it isn't, and which _no_ OS,
> >despite imaginable claims, is. To expect (!) something different than
> >this fact is absolute nonsense.
>
> "I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think
> that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." - HAL 9000
>
> AI{,O} is what users expect nowadays and it will come soon, most likely
> with harmful secondary effects.

My fear is that we wont get as far as seeing the secondary effects since
the 'deus ex machina' is ourselves:

"Three great powers rule the world: greed, fear, and stupidity."

 -- Mark Twain

How do you fancy those 3 characteristics of humanity raised to the nth degree?

Regards,

--
Frank

                           --* The Machine Stops.*--