12-1-RELEASE Cups and Lexmark printer

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Dec 9 05:46:00 UTC 2019

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 21:12:02 +0100, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 09:25:35 +0100 Jacques Foucry
> <jacques+freebsd at foucry.net> wrote:
> > Le mercredi 20 nov. 2019 à 09:53:13 (+0100), Tijl Coosemans à écrit:
> >> Try installing cups-filters.
> >
> > This solve a part of my issue. Thanks.
> >
> > Now I can print with the generic PPD. The lexmark always failed with a failter
> > failed" error. Nothing more in the logs :-(
> >
> > That annoying because I can't, with the generic PPD, use the recto-verso
> > capability of my printer.
>
> I noticed in your original email you talked about /usr/lib/cups.  The
> locations on FreeBSD are /usr/local/libexec/cups and
> /usr/local/share/cups.  If the Lexmark driver is made for Linux and
> installs under /usr, maybe you need to move the files to the FreeBSD
> locations.  If there are references to /usr/lib/cups in the PPD files
> you have to change those too.  If some of the driver files are Linux
> programs you may also need to enable Linux compatibility
> (linux_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf) and install the linux-c7-cups-libs
> package.

It shouldn't be required to run Linux CUPS components unless
the driver doesn't just include a PPD, but also programs, i. e.,
binaries for Linux. If it's just a matter of accessing the
duplexing facility of the printer, that's probably something
the PPD can achieve on its own.

Everything else you mentioned, especially the FreeBSD-specific
locations (everything non-OS, including CUPS, belongs to the
/usr/local subtree), is fully correct.

Many years ago, I also had a Lexmark printer that came with a
PPD file intended for Linux ("Linux driver package"), but simply
adding that (!) PPD using the CUPS web interface made the printer
work as expected. I did _not_ install anything from the Linux
driver, just extracted it, and used the PPD file.

Maybe this is possible here, too?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany