Switch between Xorg and TTYs

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Dec 1 18:12:52 UTC 2019

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 16:57:27 +0100, Dark Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
> i am with nvidia-driver-340 on 12-1.RELEASE, this is only driver work.
>
> I can't switch between  and  X... :0 and :1 for perhaps use gnome 3 and
> test dwm

If you use Ctrl+Alt+PF1 (X usually starts on ttyv8, assigned
to Alt+PF9), do you get a blank screen, some "out of sync"
effect?

> Need to use dvtm, both under virtual terminal and ttys
> and need to start compile under ttys because an X freeze or disconnect
> can break my compile.

Is an X freeze likely to happen on your system? It shouldn't
be... and typically suggests that there's something wrong.
You can use simple window managers like IceWM or FVWM with
virtual desktops, and run several X Terminals (xterm, rxvt)
on those, as using "text mode" consoles has become a nightmare
on FreeBSD since the switch from sc to vt (as console driver).

However, even with the nVidia driver (I think you're using
the binary one, right?), it should work.

Please check if any of the relevant configuration files have
any offending entries, or important entries missing (usually
KMS stuff in /boot/loader.conf, no manual forcing of sc in
that file, /etc/ttys, and /etc/rc.conf).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany