Firefox or what?

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Tue Aug 20 21:55:49 UTC 2019

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019, Paul Pathiakis via freebsd-questions wrote:

> I haven't gone down the road lately.... but do konqueror, chromium, etc still work?
> P.
>
>    On Saturday, August 17, 2019, 6:23:56 AM EDT, Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it> wrote:
>
> On 8/15/19 7:12 PM, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
>
>> Well then? What's the purpose to continue this thread?
>
> While continuing this thread down the slope it got (with useless arguments on
> netiquette, release engineering, supposed NFS incompatibilities, etc...) is a
> nonsense, I think half the OP's original question still holds, i.e.: what
> viable browsers (other than FireFox) do we have available in the port
> collection?
>
> Some times ago, when PaleMoon was removed, I felt the need to find an
> alternative. Searching the www categories and excluding text-only browsers,
> still yields a lot of results. Some are too lightweight (read: they can't make
> "modern" useless-javascript-crap-infested sites work), some just crash...
> trying them all would be a huge task.
>
> So I hoped to collect experiences on this.

I suspect you would get almost as many different historys as you have software
groups. By that I mean I use the base FreeBSD and xfce. As far as I can tell my
group is fairly small. My experience with Firefox was no issues until Xorg
unbundled. Then I hit a patch where the order of packages installed was
important. What mostly worked was (1) xorg; (2) firefox; (3) xfce. At times I
could not install thunderbird. All this caused by interlocking prerequisites.
With FreeBSD 11 I think I have thunderbird installed on my laptop. Throughout my
journey through FreeBSD Firefox itself has mostly worked. Flash of course never
worked, ditto for some videos, that never mattered to me. Chrome works fine
except I don't like how it does cookies. My current issue is neither Firefox or
chrome will work on one of the credit card sites I use. The issue here is
something with cookie handling.

All that said I like firefox. It would be nice if it could be less bloatish. I
would ever compile it to achieve that end.

Doug