saving "zfs send" to a Windows host

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Fri Apr 26 10:50:01 UTC 2019

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 10:30:14 +0000, Norman Gray stated:

>Greetings,
>
>On 26 Apr 2019, at 6:06, @lbutlr wrote:
>
>> However, I believe you can install bash in Windows 10. In fact, you
>> can install an entire linux bistro right into Windows 10.
>>
>> Not sure if that will help you or not, but it might be worth losing
>> into (I'm not a Windows person, Windows is the thing I avoid when
>> possible).
>>
>> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10>
>
>As a parenthesis…
>
>This is ‘Windows Subsystem for Linux’ (I don’t use it, but I work
>with some techie Windows folk who have used it and approve, and I’ve
>used it to teach ‘how to get by on Unix’ classes to folk including
>Windows laptop users).
>
>It’s a bit of a misnomer, in that (as far as I understand things)
>it’s really GNU/Windows, in the sense that ‘GNU/Linux’ is the GNU
>userland on the Linux kernel.  It’s the majority of an Ubuntu (or
>similar) distro built for the Windows kernel.
>
>I understand that intimate interaction with device drivers presents
>occasional problems, and the fact you’re on the only-just-POSIX
>Windows filesystem will occasionally bite you, but apart from that it
>works better than one might anticipate.  If you’re obliged to use a
>Windows 10 machine for some reason, this might be how to do it.
>
>…close parenthesis.
>
>Norman

I believe if you want to know something, it is best to go straight to
the source. I have used Microsoft forums in the past when I need
accurate information and not just guesses. I would suggest that the OP
start here
<https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?category=windows10itpro>
, find an appropriate forum and post his question. At the very least,
someone will direct him to the best place to ask his question.

--
Carmel