AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Sun Apr 21 05:04:09 UTC 2019

Polytropon wrote:
> > Sometimes after I kill the xinit processes I see the following message:
> >
> > (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
> >
> > I presume that something is preventing the vt switching from happening.
>
> THat's probably the same thing that makes vt an inappropriate
> replacement for sc. ;-)
>
> Have you tried disabling AIGLX? In a partial configuration file
> in X's configuration directory, /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/,
> you could try this:
>
> 	Section "ServerFlags"
> 		Option	"DontVTSwitch"	"false"
> 		Option	"AIGLX"		"false"
> 	EndSection
>
> Check for any missing functionality within X.

In better times, I used to have an XF86Config describing everything I
needed, even modelines. In fact, now I have zero X configs.  Do you mean
I should create an incomplete config with only those tidbits you
provided?

> And if you're using MATE, you're probably also using the dreaded
> combination of HAL and Dbus, things long forgotten in Linux land,

By the way, if the alternative to the dreaded combination of hald and
dbus on Linux is the dreaded systemd, I don't really know which is worse.

But, once it comes to that, if I wanted to run an X desktop on a FreeBSD
system, like a modern fashionable guy, what alternatives do I have that
would not require the dreaded HAL and Dbus?

> I have given up on using the console mode. Even if you can return
> to it, the screen might appear in a font only suited for ants. ;-)

In my case, it is not the console mode that is important, but switching
between two X servers each running a different user's GUI session (my
wife's and mine).

If I could find a way to run two independent sessions within one X
server, I would do that.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/