Starting ntpd in a jail

Lorenzo Salvadore phascolarctos at protonmail.ch
Fri Sep 28 14:03:05 UTC 2018

> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to run ntpd in a jail.
> Before someone points out it won't be able to set time, that's ok :) I
> just want other clients to be able to synchronize with it.
>
> I can manually "service ntpd start" and it will happily work, but it
> won't start at boot (or if I restart the jail).
>
> Running "rcorder /etc/rc.d/ntpd" gives the same result in the jail as in
> base (where ntpd starts correctly):
>
> > rcorder: file `/etc/rc.d/ntpd' is before unknown provision`LOGIN'
> > rcorder: requirement `devfs' in file`/etc/rc.d/ntpd' has no providers.
> > rcorder: requirement `FILESYSTEMS' in file`/etc/rc.d/ntpd' has no providers.
> > rcorder: requirement `ntpdate' in file`/etc/rc.d/ntpd' has no providers.
> > rcorder: requirement `DAEMON' in file`/etc/rc.d/ntpd' has no providers.
>
> Any hint?
>
> bye & Thanks
> av.

Please give details on your jail configuration: do you manage it by writing
directly into /etc/jail.conf? do you use some utility like ezjail?

If you use directly /etc/jail.conf (or the command line) I think adding something like
exec.start="/bin/sh /etc/rc" and setting /etc/rc.conf properly (in your jail)
should work.

Lorenzo Salvadore.