error message with poudriere

FormerUSMCe5 at aim.com FormerUSMCe5 at aim.com
Wed Sep 19 11:47:52 UTC 2018

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:16:04 +0000, Lorenzo Salvadore via freebsd-questions
stated:

>> Running the devel/poudriere version of poudriere on a freebsd 11.2 amd64
>> machine, I am often presented with this message:
>>
>> +swap_pager_getswapspace(18): failed
>>
>> The number in parentheses changes, but the message stays the same. The
>> message is printed literally hundreds of times.
>>
>> Exactly what does it mean, and what do I do to correct it? I cannot find
>> anything in the poudriere documentation that mentions it.
>
>I think the error means that you used all of you RAM and your swap space.
>If I am right, then you need to add either more RAM or more swap space
>(easiest would probably be to create a swap file), unless there is a bug in
>ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel (for example a memory allocation in an infinite
>loop).
>
>I am sure you will soon get help from persons much more capable than me,
>but while you wait I suggest you tell how much RAM and swap space do you
>have, what are you trying to do with poudriere, if the problem arises with
>ports-mgmt/poudriere too and send the output of the following two commands:
>
>- swapinfo
>- sysctl vm.vmtotal
>
>The nearer you execute them to the the moment when the error is produced,
>the better it is.
>
>Lorenzo Salvadore.

After a fresh reboot, this is the output:

~ # swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/ada0p2       2097152        0  2097152     0%
~ #
~ # sysctl vm.vmtotal
vm.vmtotal:
System wide totals computed every five seconds: (values in kilobytes)
Processes:              (RUNQ: 1 Disk Wait: 0 Page Wait: 0 Sleep: 119)
Virtual Memory:         (Total: 4542784K Active: 4498692K)
Real Memory:            (Total: 1662988K Active: 1656464K)
Shared Virtual Memory:  (Total: 130504K Active: 96116K)
Shared Real Memory:     (Total: 44132K Active: 37808K)
Free Memory:    794124K

I was reading about a "PQ_LAUNDRY" variable/setting that pertains to FreeBSD
11.x that is supposed to have some affect on this. I cannot find out much
information about it though or how to set it.

--
Sgt