error message with poudriere

Lorenzo Salvadore phascolarctos at protonmail.ch
Wed Sep 19 10:16:23 UTC 2018

> Running the devel/poudriere version of poudriere on a freebsd 11.2 amd64
> machine, I am often presented with this message:
>
> +swap_pager_getswapspace(18): failed
>
> The number in parentheses changes, but the message stays the same. The
> message is printed literally hundreds of times.
>
> Exactly what does it mean, and what do I do to correct it? I cannot find
> anything in the poudriere documentation that mentions it.

I think the error means that you used all of you RAM and your swap space.
If I am right, then you need to add either more RAM or more swap space
(easiest would probably be to create a swap file), unless there is a bug in
ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel (for example a memory allocation in an infinite loop).

I am sure you will soon get help from persons much more capable than me,
but while you wait I suggest you tell how much RAM and swap space do you have,
what are you trying to do with poudriere, if the problem arises with
ports-mgmt/poudriere too and send the output of the following two commands:

- swapinfo
- sysctl vm.vmtotal

The nearer you execute them to the the moment when the error is produced,
the better it is.

Lorenzo Salvadore.