[OT] Is the IT Crowd re-inventing Unix with Virtualization, Docker and Microservices?

CL Moonriver clmoonriver at equinefiction.com
Tue Sep 11 20:43:13 UTC 2018

I'm not sure my comments are useful here. But if nothing else, I think
they will give a unique perspective on the whole issue.

I am not an IT professional. I used to be. But I am not anymore. I'm a
fiction writer. I run FreeBSD on my desktop and the only thing I really
do with it is write fiction in Emacs. Why FreeBSD? Well, there are
several reasons:

1: UNIX was originally designed for text processing. This makes it
great for any writer. You can do things from the command line on text
files that Microsoft Word can't even dream of doing.

2: Excellent documentation. If I don't know how to do something, the
answer almost always exists right in the FreeBSD handbook.

3: Great community support: If I can't find the answer in the FreeBSD
handbook, I can ask a question on the mailings list and usually get an
answer in less time then I'd spend on hold trying to get an answer from
Microsoft.

4: Consistency. FreeBSD continues to follow the original UNIX
philosophy of simple things should be simple, simple tools should be
able to be used as building blocks for more complex tools, etc. There
is no systemd crap that has so much hidden magic I can't possibly hope
to understand what is going wrong if something isn't working. With BSD
init, I can easily trace the problem back to the source.

So I agree, thanks so for much for FreeBSD! Even as a non-technical
user, it provides exactly what I need. An OS that I can customize to
work the way I want it to, an OS that is stable and reliable, and an OS
that I know isn't going to change so much every year or so that I am
forced to learn entirely new ways of doing things because someone
decided "This init system is better than that one because it will shave
one or two seconds off the boot time," or whatever the latest fad is.