[OT] Is the IT Crowd re-inventing Unix with Virtualization, Docker and Microservices?

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 20:09:13 UTC 2018

 *whispers soothing (ry)zen mantras to Alex and hands him a beer*
OK.... it's not often, but I TOTALLY agree.

The very simple thing that needs to happen is education of the unwashed.  They don't get it, they don't understand it, they never will so tech people give them 'buzzwords'.... What's worse?  There's an entire crowd of 'wannabes' that think they can program and therefore understand Operating Systems and how they work.  NO!  They don't and they need to figure that out.  Will they?  Most will not.  They will nod and say they do, but they don't.
Do you know how many times I've explained the simplicity of Solaris Zones and FreeBSD jails to people and how this whole concept of virtualization is crap?  Whatever happened to things like 'capacity planning'?  Log aggregation?  Heck, syslog does it and you can parse it with any number of tools.
Look at DevOps... hysterical...  It's an attempt to merge development and operations.... Why?  Because of a serious ego by a lot of developers who seem to think that if they can program a piece of crap, it's the operations people who 'can't make it work correctly'.  I have been in so many DevOps groups and you ask for a show of hands as to who has worked at least 5 years in operations.... usually none.

What's the issue?:  I was an operations systems engineer, I overheard a conversation about 'why storage wasn't working correctly.  It's so slow.  Operations must be dropping the ball.'  Being new, I walked over and asked what the issue was....  According to their 'design'.... RAID 6 on a heavy write I/O volume set.... using:  hardware RAID with a 256MB cache... on Debian with XFS....  It was even SLOWER than what you would imagine.... WHY?  They were doing asset tagging via directory and file creation.....  How?  Well, 0-9, a-z and A-Z except the usual no 'o' 'i' etc....  So, this is what they were doing??  Think of a file with data.  It is tagged as:  0a9b8c7d6e5f....z They created a tree structure where each of the 34 or so characters would each have 34 subdirs.... recurse through this until you're at zzzzzzzzz...z.  My mouth visibly dropped.  I asked if anyone understood what a superblock and i-node were?  What the i-node cache was? etc.... Nothing.... they had no idea that each and every time they ingested a new randomly tagged asset with a ridiculously long path... no filesystem caching was being done....  (There's a whole story behind this architecture selection and the subsequent benchmarking I did that showed that ZFS rocks and how BSD would solve their security issues along with other issues if I was allowed to re-architect....)

It's the matter of more and more layers to simplify the technical simplicity of UNIX so people don't feel inadequate.  Let's make more GUIs, more tools, more stuff to suck up machine resources so that the hardware people can sell it to the virtualization farms.  There is a level of virtualization that makes sense.... A DEVELOPMENT TOOL.... yes, it was a boon when there used to be 10-20 different OSes out there that people were steadfastly on.  Spark up an HP-UX environment and verify your program worked on it... or Solaris... Of FreeBSD...
Should we talk about AGILE?  There's another fun one....  Let's create an entire mantra of how we should be able to do releases quickly without issue....  gouge the industry with training and buzzwords... (How about 'disruptive technology' :) ) until the next way to spin 'proper development of the software life cycle' is done.

It's all very, very disturbing.  I'm less than 15 years from retirement.  I can't wait so I can address these issues... :)
P.