Long Term support versions?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 20 13:58:56 UTC 2018

On 11/19/18 11:44 PM, @lbutlr wrote:
> On 19 Nov 2018, at 20:12, Dale Scott <dalescott at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> On the other hand, it might be more pragmatic to take a CI approach and learn how to live with the release process. Is that possible?
>
> I can both live with it (as I have been doing for years) and still complain! :)
>
> It seems obvious to me that going from FINAL to FINAL versions should be possible, if not encouraged, and that supporting the FINAL version for maybe a year -- or if we're really lucky two -- isn't really helping anyone.
>
> The counter to not having the resources to maintain version support longer is to slow version releases, not to force a faster upgrade treadmill on everyone.

Then we will ot look as "advanced" version wise as others. Firefox is
over version 60 already. Of course evr their release does not live up to
the word release. Security patches all the time...

I remember, when RedHat started racing with version number (not
Enterprise, just regular one: version 8, then 9) in the discussion about
"having larger version number" than others someone mentioned: you will
never catch up with Microsoft: they already have Windows 2000 ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago