Program to find CPU temperature?

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Tue Nov 13 11:55:08 UTC 2018

I am looking for a program to find the CPU and perhaps system temperature, either in base system or ports.

I tried "sysctl -a | grep "temp" (or temperature) and couldn't find anything.

NetBSD has envstat in base system:

                                     Current  CritMax  WarnMax  WarnMin  CritMin  Unit
[acpifan0]
                            state:     FALSE
[acpifan1]
                            state:     FALSE
[acpifan2]
                            state:      TRUE
[acpifan3]
                            state:     FALSE
[acpifan4]
                            state:     FALSE
[acpitz0]
                      temperature:    27.800  106.000                             degC
[acpitz1]
  cpu0/cpu1/cpu2/cpu3/cpu4/cpu5/c:    29.800  106.000                             degC
[coretemp0]
                 cpu0 temperature:    56.000                                      degC
[coretemp1]
                 cpu1 temperature:    59.000                                      degC
[coretemp2]
                 cpu2 temperature:    57.000                                      degC
[coretemp3]
                 cpu3 temperature:    55.000                                      degC

but there appears to be nothing like that in FreeBSD.

This is the computer without the overheating problem.  Other computer, with the overheating problem, makes me wonder if the heatsink itself, as opposed to the CPU fan, is no longer functional.

Otherwise, perhaps something could be going amiss on the CPU or motherboard.

Tom