How can I install FreeBSD in Legacy mode if my boot menu only shows USB in EFI mode?

Pratyush Yadav pratiy0100 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 07:38:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

This may be a weird question, but I've been stuck on this for some
time now. I have a HP Probook 440 G3 which I'm using for testing. I
managed to install FreeBSD in EFI mode and got it working. But then I
realized that Xen does not work with EFI. So I went to my boot options
and enabled legacy mode.

The problem is, it does not show the USB flash drive in Legacy mode,
only in EFI mode. The laptop does not have a CD drive so I can't try
to boot using a CD. It does allow me to boot in Legacy from my hard
disk, but booting the flash drive in EFI installs FreeBSD in EFI mode
so the HDD does not boot when I select Legacy for it. Also, if I try
to boot with the USB in my PC, it shows in both the Legacy and EFI
menus, so it is not a problem with the USB drive.

Is there any way I can install in Legacy mode given the situation? Can
I boot the USB in EFI but still install in Legacy mode?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Regards,
Pratyush Yadav