A request for release engineering
jude.obscure at yandex.com
Fri May 11 14:41:13 UTC 2018
On 05/11/18 19:45, Robroy Gregg wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2018, Kristof Provost wrote:
>> On 11 May 2018, at 9:11, Arthur Chance wrote:
>>> On 10/05/2018 19:15, Manish Jain wrote:
>>>> I have no idea whether this is the right list to make this request to.
>>>> But I could not find any other list that would definitely be better
>>>> I noticed when trying to build a port under my 10.3 box that support
>>>> 10.3 has now expired. I have no problems with that - I will install 12
>>>> afresh when it becomes available later this year.
>>>> But since installing afresh demands a whole effort, I request that
>>>> FreeBSD reduce its new releases to one per year, while the support
>>>> period is increased to 3 years per release.
>>>> Does this sound like a good request to others too ?
>>> The FreeBSD support model was announced over three years ago:
>>> In particular
>>> - Each new release from the stable/X branch deprecates the previous
>>> release on the branch, providing a three-month window within which
>>> consumers are urged to upgrade to the latest release. During this
>>> three-month window, Security Advisories and Errata Notices will still
>>> be issued for the previous release, as necessary.
>>> Why not simply update to 10.4?
>> FreeBSD 10.4 reaches end-of-life on October 31, 2018. At this point
>> I?d recommend an upgrade to 11.1 right now, to get to a supported
>> version and then an upgrade to 11.2 within three months of the release
>> of 11.2.
> I wonder how many other people are like me--planning to "float" from
> 10.3-RELEASE to 11.2-RELEASE on some computers, just to face the devil
> once instead of twice (the devil to which I refer's the one who's "in
> the details" every time I change anything on a server).
There is one point on which I request expert advice.
Since bumping the version up using freebsd-update needs you to install
all packages afresh, it would appear to my naked eye that it never makes
sense to upgrade. Instead, one should simply wait till one's release
version goes beyond EOL - and then install the latest available release
afresh. This is just what I plan on this box (10.3) - wait till
November, and then install 12 over the current installation.
Exactly when does the upgrade via freebsd-update bring any real
advantage to the user ? I see one disadvantage in upgrading - things
don't work as smoothly/reliably as with a fresh installation.
Tx and Regards,
More information about the freebsd-questions