Problem with resolving name

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at
Wed Mar 21 13:58:36 UTC 2018

Hi everyone

I've got a very strange problem, first time since I'm using FreeBSD (from 3
I think).

After a fresh install (freebsd 11.1-P8) I got a very strange behavior, if I

  ssh/ping fqdn

I got a (after long time)

  ssh: Could not resolve hostname fqdn: hostname nor servname provided, or not known

but if I do

  host fqdn

I got the correct answer(instantly), and after that the ... sometime ... ssh/ping work fine, sometime
ssh still not working.

So I track with tcdump+wireshark, it seem the host try to resolv a AAAA
record, but my server fqdn don't have a AAAA record (only V4 server), the
host try 3 times after (3 time with AAAA).

Instead a hosts fqdn do the correct dns request.

I can use ssh -4 (and it's working), but it's seem every command who need a
name resolution try the same thing and failed after some time, so lots of
command become very slow.

Inside my rc.conf no v6 configuration.


Albert SHIH
DIO bâtiment 15
Observatoire de Paris
xmpp: jas at
Heure local/Local time:
Wed Mar 21 14:36:27 CET 2018

More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list