Multiple joomla3 sites on one server

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Thu Mar 15 19:49:45 UTC 2018

I am trying to figure out how, assuming it is even possible, to host three
joomla3 sites on one PC using apache24.

By default, FreeBSD places joomla3 into the “/usr/local/www/joomla3”
directory. I have an “alias” set up in the httpd.conf file to direct requests
to the correct directory: Alias /Law "/usr/local/www/joomla3". Obviously, this
only works for one site. I need to configure three sites. I was told to copy
the joomla3 installation to a sub-directory under the root apache24 directory.
So, I created a sub-directory and copied the files to:
“/usr/local/www/apache24/data/Law”. I then created two new sub-directories in
the “data” directory and copied the joomla3 files there also. After making the
appropriate “Alias” entries in the httpd.conf file and restarting apache24,
everything seems to work correctly. I also copied the “Robots.txt” file
provided by joomla3 to the root directory

Now, my question is, how do I update the joomla3 installation when a new
update is available? Can I just copy the new files from the joomla3 directory
directly into the newly created sub-directories? Would that overwrite new data
in those directories? It doesn’t appear to do so when I update the regular
joomla3 directory.

I know I could wait until a new update is available and see what transpires;
however, I would rather not do it at all if it is not going to work.

--
Carmel