Signal 6

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Jun 29 15:40:26 UTC 2018

I have a daemon process that runs forever (almost).  Something is killing it with a signal 6, but no core dump is done.  If I manually kill it with kill -6, then the log message shows core dumped and a core file is created.  The process has no reference to SIG_ABRT, so I suspect the kernel is doing the kill and is overriding the core dump.  I have previously encountered a similar issue where swap space was running out and the kernel killed this process without a core dump.  In that case there were quite a few messages logged about swap space issues before the process was killed.  There are no swap messages logged this time.

/etc/sysctl.conf contains:
kern.sugid_coredump=1
kern.corefile=/crash/%N.core

/crash is a directory in the root file system.

Other than swap issues, when would the kernel kill a process without a core dump?

-- Doug