Problems Connecting Laptop To Modem

B J va6bmj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 17:31:02 UTC 2018

On 6/18/18, Gary Aitken <freebsd at dreamchaser.org> wrote:

<snip>

>> Internet:
>> Destination        Gateway            Flags     Netif Expire
>> default            192.168.0.1        UGS        fxp0
>> 127.0.0.1          link#2             UH          lo0
>> 192.168.0.0/24     link#1             U          fxp0
>> 192.168.0.12       link#1             UHS         lo0
>
> This looks like the routing table for the machine which is not working,
> with the default set to 192.168.0.1.  If you run "netstat -rn"
> from one of the machines which *is* working (as suggested above), it
> should show a default route with the IP address of the actual router.
> That is the IP address you need to use on the machine which is not working.

I just ran netstat -rn on the FreeBSD tower I'm running now and the
default address is identical.  I checked the ISP's webpage for the
modem that that's the address it uses as well.

I tinkered with the laptop this past weekend and I found the following:

- the machine won't connect with the modem when even when running a
liveCD version of FreeBSD (both 10 and 11)--all attempts to ping a URL
failed
- the machine updates the file:

 /var/db/dhclient.leases.nfe0

but it doesn't add anything
- as a test, I created a backup of that file, deleted the original,
and found that the machine will still create and write to it, but
doesn't add anything
- the last update of that file roughly corresponds to the time and
date when I connected that modem

A while ago, I installed FreeBSD 10.x on an old IBM ThinkPad and I was
successfully send pings to the same URL as before.

This is becoming interesting....

BMJ