Toshiba disk low performance

Christos Chatzaras chris at cretaforce.gr
Fri Jun 8 11:42:57 UTC 2018

I did some benchmarks and the problem exist in both Linux and FreeBSD.

I benchmark a server with Toshiba disks and a server with Seagate disks.

First I install debian without RAID-1. Then I install iozone.

Tests done with hdparm to test disk bandwidth and iozone to test random read/writes.

Here are the results:

https://hastebin.com/gayidosaju.pas

As you can see the bandwidth for the Toshiba disks is slower than Seagate but this doesn't really matter.

The problem is the second test that does random read/writes which show the Toshiba has 10 times slower random write speed than the Seagate.

That's why the issue happens mostly during a "mysql import" and not other server tasks.