FreeBSd, Jails, Man, and Apropos

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Jul 26 18:30:03 UTC 2018

When I am logged into a jail and I use apropos to search the man pages
I get this error:

# apropos dnssec
apropos: file is encrypted or is not a database

Running makewhatis returns what is no doubt a related error:

# makewhatis
/basejail/usr/share/man//mandoc.db:
 Data changed, but cannot replace database
/basejail/usr/share/openssl/man//mandoc.db:
 Data changed, but cannot replace database

My searches do not reveal any discussion of this quirk.  How does one
use apropos inside a jail?

Canada  L8E 3C3