FreeBSD-11, Amavisd-New Spamassassin and Pyzor

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Jul 9 19:49:49 UTC 2018

On Mon, July 9, 2018 13:45, Peter Boosten wrote:
> Peter Boosten schreef op 2018-07-09 19:20:
>> James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions schreef op 2018-07-09 17:22:
>>> I am not having any success in discovering any documentation on how
>>> to get pyzor set up and running on FreeBSd.  I cannot even find
>>> documentation as to where the configuration bits go.
>
> You might want to have a look at /usr/local/bin/pyzor, and of course
> on pyzor.org. When you're not running your own pyzor server, you don't
> actually have to configure anything.

As it turns out, there is a fair bit of configuration necessary to get
DCC, pyzor and Razor2 working with Amavisd-new and Postfix.  None of
which is particularly well documented. What documentation exists is
found in the form of tutorials. These are often out-of-date; or assume
too much prior knowledge; or are specific to a different OS to a
degree that makes using the examples fraught with hazards.

For FreeBSD one begins, after installing the requisite packages, by
registering ones instance using razor-admin.  Then, to actually get
things to work, one must either edit Spamassassin's v310.pre file and
uncomment the loadplugins instructions for the necessary bits or add
those instructions to the top of local.cf:

# DCC is disabled here because it is not open source.  See the DCC
# license for more details.
#
 loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC

# Pyzor - perform Pyzor message checks.
#
 loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Pyzor

# Razor2 - perform Razor2 message checks.
#
 loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2

Then one has to enable these things in local.cf itself.

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2
  use_razor2              1
endif

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC
  use_dcc                 1
endif

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Pyzor
  use_pyzor               1
  pyzor_timeout           30
  pyzor_path /usr/local/bin/pyzord
  # pyzor_options --homedir /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/pyzor
endif

I am still uncertain whether or not I have actually installed pyzor
and razor2 correctly.  But after these changes avavisd and
spamassassin seems to be working, at least to some degree at the
moment.

Canada  L8E 3C3