Document/collaboration server advise needed

Dale Scott dalescott at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 22 22:53:55 UTC 2018

Are your users comfortable using revision control systems? If yes, then how
technical or how simple do they want the process to be?

There is a nice "Document Revisions" plugin for WordPress, with a "drag and
drop" onto the web page interface. It manages each document individually but
essentially non-collaboratively. It also manages documents individually,
which is not so well if you have groups of documents that are controlled
together (e.g. a Visio file plus a Word file plus an PowerPoint plus a PDF
all together equal a conference submission).

Many people use Subversion for ad hoc documents such as mechanical
engineering drawings, Word docs, etc., but a tree document structure has to
make sense to users and document searching doesn't seem to feature in any of
the Subversion clients (which is disappointing, because I suspect
TortoiseSVN and a back-room Subversion server are the document control
system in many embedded engineering groups). The more technical the solution
is though, the more there will need to be a software-orientated champion in
the group for the process to work effectively.

Do your users currently use a shared network directory for all their
documents, with perhaps with an ad hoc filename naming convention? I was
once managing engineering product documentation (schematics, mechanical
drawings, Word docs, etc.) and configured a nightly rsync from effectively a
shared "sandbox" into a "controlled vault", only copying modified files and
adding a date and time suffix if an updated version was copied.

Have you investigated built-in collaboration tools? Word has built-in
collaboration, merging edits, etc. If Word is the document creator/editor of
choice for your users, perhaps the "best" solution is use Word for
collaborating. I would still also advocate for a process though that creates
a copy of the file at various milestones (e.g. "release to print shop",
"submit to conference") for visibility and reliability. I believe Excel also
has built-in collaboration features.

Don't under estimate the need to keep people happy. The new system has to
solve the problems that users perceive they are having, otherwise moving
them to the new system will be an uphill battle and could easily lose
traction and collapse before complete. Technical people have a high-degree
of tolerance for complexity (even liking it!), and users will avoid "better"
solutions and find workarounds if they don't agree (and I say this as a
"user").

Good luck!

---
Dale R. Scott