gpart And VPS Disk: Disappearing swap Partition

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Fri Jan 19 15:39:14 UTC 2018

On 01/19/2018 09:23 AM, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>> I got a larger drive assigned to the virtual instance. I was able
>> to successfully resize the root ufs volume.  But when I then tried
>> to use the last 1G of the drive for additional swap, I ran into
>> the problems thus described...
> 	Hmmm, perhaps there's something about it being the last 1G - try
> just adding half of it and see what happens.

I tried reducing it to 900G ... same problem.

So ... I decided to resize the OS volume to use all the disk, including
the last 1G and just increase the size of an existing swap file therein.
... that worked (!?).  So, in short, resizing allowed me to use the
whole disk, but attempting to create a 4th partition just for swap failed.
Go figure ...

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com