Directory listing speed

Michael Schuster michaelsprivate at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:19:10 UTC 2018

Luciano,

a few questions come to mind:
- what are you doing with the output (> /dev/null?)?
- how are you measuring this?
- what else is the machine doing while you're doing your 'ls'?
- [you may have said so in an earlier message:] is the HW (including disk
infrastructure) comparable to the linux box?
- is this time you're reporting, while significant, the only issue you
have, or do you actually see something really show-stopping on that machine
(IOW, what problem are you trying to solve)?
- do you have comparable numbers in comparable directories?
- do you see any error messages or warnings in the logs?

you get the idea ... :-)

HTH
Michael

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 5:11 PM, Luciano Mannucci <luciano at vespaperitivo.it>
wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 07:57:04 -0600
> Weldon Godfrey <weldon at excelsus.com> wrote:
>
> > Does the directory listings get better after awhile?  I am thinking the
> > dovecot cache files for each user will get generated upon their first
> login
> > unless your force it to be generated.
> Well, I'm referring to listing obtained using the command:
>
> root at baobab:~ # ls -l /var/spool/mail
>
> and, yes, first run is about seven seconds, next ones are five seconds.
> Linux takes under one second, same 595 files. Waiting another minute
> leads back to a seven seconds wait.
>
> Thanks for now,
>
> Luciano.
> --
>  /"\                         /Via A. Salaino, 7 - 20144 Milano (Italy)
>  \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN / PHONE : +39 2 485781 FAX: +39 2 48578250
>   X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    /  E-MAIL: posthamster at sublink.sublink.ORG
>  / \  AND POSTINGS        /   WWW: http://www.lesassaie.IT/

Michael Schuster
http://recursiveramblings.wordpress.com/