Dualboot and ZFS

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Tue Jan 16 03:49:38 UTC 2018

Dean E. Weimer wrote:

[dd]

> > For me, however, running "make installworld DESTDIR=xxx" is also
> > installing. Can DESTDIR be a zpool on a MBR/BSD slice?
>
> You can do an install from source to a zfs dataset no matter where it
> exists as that just shows up as any other mount point, but if you want
> to be able to boot from it I would suggest making it on a GPT disk.

The whole point of my question was to install FreeBSD/ZFS as a second
system to a box where Windows/NTFS already occupies one MBR partition and
there is another MBR partition for FreeBSD. Do you think there is no
such luck?  I

> checked and there is a section on the wiki
> <https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/ZFSBootSlice> about installing
> to MBR, but its flagged as will not boot.

"Will not boot"? That is odd because:

1. That's basically the setup Manish suggested (using ada0s3a for
zpool), and I think it works for him if he gave this advice.

2. zfsboot(8) is designed for MBR so why would it fail to boot?

> By the way the setup I sent was installed by using the live CD, creating

But your setup is not dualboot which I was asking about.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
AS43859