File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Feb 17 23:57:06 UTC 2018

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 12:44:44 -0600 (CST), Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>The truth is, that Apple store offers you the latest version of given
>application. Which effectively prevents you from installing most of
>applications on device on which you reinstalled older iOS. You are
>willing to blame application developers. I disagree here. There was a
>version of application that worked on that older version of the
>system. It is apple store that gives me incompatible later version of
>application, disregarding the version of system apple store client
>comes from. And there is no way I could find to request from apple
>store older version of application, the version that was compatible
>with that older system. Of course, apple store and friends are
>proprietary things thus there is no information about them for us to
>substantiate any argument. However, it is Apple who locked iOS users
>into installation of applications through apple store, therefore it is
>they to blame for the situation like the one I described, at least in
>my book.

That is a serious issue when owning an iPad.

Apple should allow to make backups. Actually what they call a backup
via iTunes is not a backup. They don't backup all apps, they just store
some purchased meta-thingy and there even is no backup of data
available. If you accidently deleted an app with some important data,
reinstalling the app, if possible at all, doesn't bring you back the
lost data, a sync with an iTunes "backup" would require to manually
restore data by the file sharing option, but not all apps support file
sharing, IOW here is no way to backup all user data.